Thursday, September 5, 2019

Penelope // Movie Review

So I've had this movie recomended to me several times, but for awhile I was a little hesitant to watch it because I've heard it was weird. Well the other day I saw it on Netflix and thought what the heck, why not? So I watched it, and oh my goodness I'm so glad I did!! It's such a cute, whimsical, funny little movie!! So I though I'd pop on here and fangirl about it a little bit before telling you to go watch it! :)


So basically, Penelope was cursed to be born with the nose of a pig, and the curse will only be broken once she marries one of her own kind, a blue blood. Of course, getting someone to marry you when you look like a pig is no easy task, and therein lies the plot!

So for starters, I will admit that this movie is indeed a little weird, the beginning especially. But if you can get past the first five minutes, it's pretty smooth sailing from thereon out.

(also this is gonna be less of a review and more of me talking about my favorite bits, so yeah ;))


So first of all, Penelope is really cute, whether she has a pig nose or not. And also, can we all agree, that while the nose is a little weird, it's not exactly 'throw yourself out the window' terrifying. Just sayin'. 

Ok, and even though she drove me up the wall sometimes, you can't help but find Penelope's mom pretty funny. I mean, yes she is really annoying and sometimes you just want to strangle her, but she does have some pretty great lines. "What!? I'm her mother! That's what mothers do with their daughters, they talk about how to look prettier!"  

Ok, now the part where I get to fangirl!!



Eeeeek!!! Ok, I looooove Max so stinkin' much!! He's literally the cutest and his relationship with Penelope is so sweet!! I mean, THE CONVERSATION DURING THE CHESS GAME!!! Gaaah, I fangirled so hard XD. Also the You are my Sunshine part was so cute!

I mean, look at that face!! ^.^ <3 <3


I also really loved that he's not the perfect Prince Charming either. Max has a gambling problem, and in the beginning doesn't really seem to have his life together. And then he meets Penelope, and I won't tell you the rest cuz spoilers, but it's da best ^.^

Also, Lemon is hilarious! He's probably got some of the funniest lines in the movie. "Edward...Don't lick Max." Also, the scene where he finds out stuff, and he goes and talks to Max in the theater was really cute. And the end scene with the rowboat!! I love it! :D

I also really really loved the overall fantasy feel of the movie. The scene where Penelope opens to gate up to the huge city is so cool, and I also really love the part where she is sitting in the hotel room looking down at her view and she just feels free, and it makes me really happy :) 


Also, her wardrobe was so fun and whimsical! The bright colors, the pointed cuffs on her coat, the really cute and crazy look was a super nice touch. And don't even get me started on her adorable room that I want really bad! 

Also, the ending scene is sooooo cute!! Gah, it's such a sweet movie, guys!

Ok this is the part where I tell you to go watch it ;) It's seriosuly the sweetest, and the characters are adorable (coughlookingatyoumaxcough) and it's funny and whimsical and yes it's the best :) 

So have you seen Penelope? What are your thoughts if you have? I'm totally open to fangirling in the comments if you so desire! ;) Hope you guys are doing great! xxxx, B

4 comments:

  1. Eeeeep!!!! I saw this once when it first came out and LOVED IT TO PIECES, but I haven't seen it since. 11 years is too long between rewatches!!! I hope *fingers crossed* that I'll watch it again sometime this fall. I loved Max, the plot, and the aesthetic!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES ITS SO GOOD!!! Wow it really has been awhile for you :D Gah, yes it's so amazing, the entire aesthetic (and Max especially ;))

      Delete
  2. I have never seen this movie but your post is inspiring me to request a copy from the library! :D Sounds like a good film to try out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you definitely should Anna! It's well worth the watch! :)

      Delete

Comments absolutely make my day!! I'd love to hear your thoughts! Just please make sure to keep it clean :)